Wednesday 15 February 2012

Hangin round the CNR....


I have been going to the CNR for a little while now and can totally vouch for their coffee, but last weekend I was with my hubby and son and being time to eat, we decided to order something more substantial. It was around 3pm on the Sunday so we took advantage of the "Afternoon" menu.

Hubby and I have varied taste so we tend to order meals and swap them over half way so we don't miss out on tasting something delicious. On this day I wanted to eat both of them!

I ordered the Chicken Korma served on steamed rice with mango chutney and pappadums. I love it when a cafe gives you a choice of an entree or main size- normally I go straight for the biggest serve but the staff told me the entree size was more than enough. And they were right!

Now I'm a sucker for presentation- I believe that food should be served on whatever makes it visually appealing and easier to eat from. My chicken korma came in a deep bowl with a wider top so the curry and rice stayed where they should, and there was ample room for the pappadums to rest without them getting soggy. The chicken itself was moist and
tender with just enough spices to enhance the flavour but not overpower the dish. The rice was perfectly cooked and the pappadums crisp. Even people who don't normally eat curry should try this- it would be an excellent entry level for a first curry experience.





















My hubby ordered the Pork Belly served on braised bacon and cabbage with creamy mash and roasted apple. Wow is all I can say. 
The pork was cooked to perfection and the cabbage and bacon together were a marriage made in heaven- smoky flavours with golden sauteed cabbage and the mash was worthy of something a mom would make. Normally I eat pork with apple sauce but to have the apple roasted and to be able to cut into that semi-crunch was the perfect contrast to the mash and cabbage/bacon.



















And last but not least, my son's fish and chips. I don't really have much faith that something that has been around for so long can have the capacity to be different in some way but those chips are really something. I think it's the fact that they are hand cut with their skins on and cooked till golden on the outside and fluffy on the inside will make me come back for more. The fish itself was golden and crunchy- the only thing I would pick on is that I found the batter to be a bit thick and I think my son thought so too as he left a good part of it on his plate minus the fish from inside it.




















Together with our meals and drinks, there was a good amount of change from $50.00!

I love how the CNR Cafe not only has some of the friendliest staff around, but the owners actually think about their food. It's not just assembled on a plate, every stage of the meal seems to be thought through and then made with love. It looks great, it tastes fantastic and because the owners and their family are always at the CNR, you can be assured that they will listen and put into consideration any suggestions that are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment