Wednesday 14 March 2012

Pasta FAIL

As I have probably told you before, Wednesday night is pasta/family night. I teach a class in Freo and on the way home we try to find some tasty pastas and pizzas.
Apparently Il Caio is supposed to be a the "hidden gem" of the pasta world in Applecross but all I can say is wow, that was crap!
Before I tell you about the food I have to describe the family sitting at the table next to us because I believe that no matter where you are from, table manners are universal.
A middle aged lady was there with her daughter and two sons. I would say aged 8, 10 and 12 respectively. When we sat down I noticed that the little girl and younger boy were on a PS and the older boy seemed to be attached to his Samsung smartphone. There was no conversation with each other. They ordered pizza and pasta and when their meal came out it was too hot so they continued on with their devices. The mum had a bowl of veggies which she ate with her mouth open, and when the oldest child could finally eat his pasta, he did so by putting his mouth right down near his bowl and ripping the excess pasta off with his hand, all the while still scrolling through his phone with his other hand. At one point he wasn't concentrating on his eating and pasta went all over his phone which he then blamed on his mum because it was too hot. The little girl ate her pasta by shovelling it into her mouth with a fork and then cramming the rest in with her hand. Then a piece of cake came out for the middle son for his birthday and he picked the whole thing up on his fork  and ate it like that.
I didn't really expect dinner and a show but by golly I got one. I call it "Etiquette 101 and the disappearance of table manners" Unbelievable!!!
What can I say that is nice about the food.....
We ordered three dishes and I can happily say one of them was really good. It was half a free range chicken with sort of Portuguese spices and traditional spaghetti bolognaise. The chicken was beautifully cooked and the pasta was the way it should be. And it was great that for an extra $3 you could get a side pasta for many of the meals.












Most of our friends know how much my hubby loves pizza. When we have indulgence days it will always be his "go to" food of choice. This is one with prosciutto, mushrooms and olives. SPANISH olives- you know the ones that are cheap and have no flavour at all. For God's sake if you are going to claim to be authentic please don't scrimp, use kalamata olives because no good Italian pizza maker should use anything less!












And finally the worst dish of the day goes to this prawn pasta that claimed to have olive oil and chili. The problem was, the pasta wasn't drained properly so any olive oil, chili or taste got washed away into the "soup" at the bottom. This has got to be one of the most bland pastas I have eaten in forever (including food hall pasta).












I find it humorous when someone comes out and asks you how your meal was and the way their face changes when you tell them it was below average at best. Then they try to make excuses for it. All I can say is that if you are in Applecross and think that this is the best the area can offer, expand your horizons cos there are much better places just down the road and you shouldn't settle for average either....

No comments:

Post a Comment