Sunday 11 March 2012

No No NO!


I have been putting off writing this blog as it is about a disappointing dining experience but I guess they can't all be good can they?
We were in Leederville a couple of weeks ago and being Sunday afternoon (pigout day) I was notably starving as usual. What I seriously hate about Perth is that if you are in between "normal" mealtimes you can't get anything substantial. 3pm is obviously coffee and cake time to everyone else but my clock works differently so I wanted lunch.
As the Sayers lunch was well and truly over we went across the road to Duende as they were doing their paella thing with the big pan outside the restaurant and cool tunes pumping from a DJ dude. So far so good.
We went in and were told that paella and a few of the nibbly sides were the only thing on offer at that time so being part Spanish and a sucker for paella goodness I wanted to get some in me.
I asked for a cider at the bar and was handed the bottle. I don't do my cider from the bottle so asked for a glass with ice. Out comes a tiny tumbler. Obviously the bar guy doesn't drink cider so I asked for the biggest glass they have. It didn't help the taste one bit. Sometimes I wish I was a beer drinker cos it would be a whole bunch easier but that will happen when hell freezes over.
I have to tell you that I have been spoilt with amazing paella in my life. My sister makes the best one I have ever tried and I remember people coming over to her house when I was younger to get lessons on how to make it themselves it was THAT good. I wish Duende would employ her so they could learn what a decent one tastes like. The rice was gluggy, there was none of the crispy semiburnt crust on the bottom and all I could sense was heat but no flavour. There should be a balance of flavours from the seafood, the smoked paprika, the veggies and stock. Not a mess of mass produced whatever it was. And please, with so many staff on for the day they should come to our table to talk to us and not yell at us from behind the bar. 
I think Duende tries to hide behind their name which is obviously "in" right now but that doesn't and shouldn't ever make up for food that isn't up to scratch. It should be the best because they are who they are. Now where's my sis at? :p














1 comment:

  1. That looks like that godawful packet-fried-rice stuff from a supermarket, I wouldn't have even recognised it as paella!

    ReplyDelete