Monday 9 April 2012

Degusted...

Funny..... I sent this blog to the City of Perth and it wasn't published. It amazes me that they can refer to me as someone who "tells it like it is" but the minute I say something that isn't complimentary it's nowhere to be seen.....

On Wednesday (28th) night I took a break with my hubby as we were lucky enough to be given a degustation from the people of Eat Drink Perth. It was at The Quarter on Hay which was very exciting as we live in the city so catching the bus was the best option, even if we were a tad overdressed to be doing so. But hey, who can argue with free transport almost to your door when you are tanked?

The initial meet and greet was lovely and the venue had a warm and ambient feel. I have never had the pleasure of dining at the Quarter before as I guess there is a stigma of being in a place where the city workers go to unwind after their day but this was not the case it all. It was quiet, welcoming and dickhead free...

 

After being seated at a lovely table we ordered a espresso martini and a "Bubbagabooze" which is a bubble gum flavoured vodka party in your mouth. I am an espresso martini junkie and the little touches of chocolate liquer and cherry liquer in this one made it one of my top 5 favourites in Perth. And that's saying alot!

The degustation was called the "Clos Henri Wine Dinner" and comprised of 6 courses with matching wines from the Clos Henri vineyards in the Loire Valley of France and the Marlborough region of New Zealand.

The first course or "Amuse bouche" was a small glass with a pea soup or puree, flavoured with scallop and a foam on the top. I think this was a perfect start to the meal although I thought that it was a bit heavy for the Cremant Brut (bubbly) that went with it. I never do soup with champagne. Personally I would have enjoyed them separately but having said that, hubby thought they were great together.















The second course was a salad of sauteed sweetbreads with yabbies, a quails egg (so cute) and toasted brioche. Let me say that I NEVER go out of my way to eat sweetbreads but seriously, these were so well flavoured that I think I could feed them to my 10 year old son and he would actually eat them. The sherry jus they were with was perfect. It was accompanied by the Petit Clos Sauv Blanc which hubby said was lovely but I cannot comment fairly as I am not a white wine person. Having said that, if I found one that was outstanding I would happily drink it. This one just didn't change that view.













The third course was pan fried scallops with potato puree, vanilla and tomato compote and fried capers accompanied by a Clos Henri Sauv Blanc and Henri Bourgeois Sancerre, both '10. The scallops were cooked perfectly but I could not see where the vanilla and tomato compote fit into this dish, or rather the vanilla. This was known as a "vertical" wine tasting which is a glorified way of saying that you get to try two at the same time. Neither of them swayed me though...












The fourth course was probably my favourite of the evening- the orange glazed duck breast, confit duck salardaise, spinach and fig wine jus. It was initially supposed to be accompanied by the Petit Clos Pinot but was switched with the Clos Henri Pinot which I think was a great move because this duck needed a red with legs- tender, succulent and delicious as it was. Thank God for red wine!












The fifth course was something close to my heart as my hubby is greek/turkish- grilled haloumi with sun blushed tomatoes, pita croutons, green beans, shaved fennel and wild thyme and honey dressing, accompanied with the Petit Clos Pinot. Let me say that the Clos Pinot '08 and Petit Clos Pinot '10 are both outstanding reds and would be welcome in my wine rack anytime. Even though they were switched for the 2 courses, I think the Clos would have been perfect with the haloumi dish as well. Or maybe I just wanted to drink more of it but who doesn't like wine and cheese together? My only pick on this dish is I found the sun blushed tomatoes to be a bit overpowering although calling them "sun blushed" when all they are is semi dried is amusing. But as with all the other couses, the individual elements are separated beautifully so you can forego one thing if it is not to your liking without compromising another.











Last but not least the sixth course was the rocky road parfait with peanut shortbread. So-so and the presentation was not there for me. I am a dessert person and if I order one at a lovely dinner, it needs to say "eat me". It was accompanied by the Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes '02. Magic in a glass and made up for how the dish looked.















I really do think that this was one of the better degustations I have had in Perth and would recommend it for it's diversity, presentation and taste combinations. Order your wines separately though, so you are assured that you will have something you like with every course cos' it's kind of a downer when you don't.

3 comments:

  1. funny, we went to the Quarter the other week for a drink and ended up ordering an oreo cheesecake, and while it was presented fine, it tasted totally bought in, bf thought it tasted like fridge lol guess if we go there again Ill go for the entree and main rather than a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a cocktail for dessert- they're fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, maybe they didnt use it as you used the word "dickheads". I <3 you Feisty!

    ReplyDelete