Saturday 7 January 2012

The Reuben Anti-climax

Last Friday I went to Grill'd Burgers straight after work so when we got to 5 bar I was too full to eat anything but quite happy to indulge in a glass or two of my favourite french cider. I had missed out on my Reuben sandwich so had to make up for it yesterday. Hubby and I had spent a great amount of time Googling what's in them and the different ways people make them in America. Wow was all I could say. Them fellers really do like their cheese! And meat. And lumping huge amounts of them together under the protest of 2 little pieces of rye bread.

Needless to say when we got to 5 my mouth was watering. I ordered a glass of my cider and pretended to peruse the menu while my senses were honed to that scrum-diddly-umptious sandwich. But what was this? A new edition- a roast pork open sandwich with green cabbage slaw and apple/cinnamon jam. I LOVE pork and apple sauce. Reuben?-pork? Reuben?-pork? Oh bugger it we ordered both...


Doesn't this look fantastic? OK nice lighting and a pretty good composition but really it should have tasted as good as it looks. I'm sad to say my expectations were not exceeded and I may not order it again for this very reason. Firstly, the cheese is supposed to be swiss and in the US they drain and cook the sauerkraut so it's all yummy and not runny. My Reuben sanger needed a diaper. It was like being back at Grill'd. Burger puddles are fine but sandwich puddles are not.
But this one is ALOT healthier than the ones I have seen on the net.


Here is my new favourite and saviour of the day. Fabulous slaw, tender pork and that apple/cinnamon sauce with the raisins mmmmmmmmm....

I can't wait to go back next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment